Tuesday 21 August 2012

A little sun at lunch

Sunshine at lunchtime saw me throwing the camera in the car for a second look at my WEBS patch this week. There had been a few Lapwing, Curlew and Barwits around on Sunday, and there were far too many tourists around to do "the point". At high tide everything is pushed up to the vegetated out crop around the Clashfarland end of the bay, I only had an hour, so I high tailed it to the nearest car park...

...tourists; everything was up, trying desperately to find some shoreline not occupied by dog walkers, picnicking cyclists, or daft blondes with cameras *cough*. Confident in my limited chances of sneaking up on anything today, I tucked myself into the scrub in Clashfarland and waited for the circling birds to overfly me.

And they did, in some numbers. Here's what I snapped on the way past...

Lapwing, the were about 50 around

Curlew (200 odd), accompanied by around 20 Barwits

There were a couple of eclipse Eider, six shags, a greater Black Back, and four common gull too. All in all, a bit disappointing, but a nice sign that the winter waders are on their way back. Maybe if it rains I'll have a better chance of seeing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment