Thursday 17 January 2013

A day with a dog.

For the last 24 fours I've been lucky enough to be looking after a four legged friend. It's been a great excuse to get out walking, and this morning I put dog, whistle, bins and scope in the car and headed round to Fintry Bay for a walk and a gander.

Well, he must be my lucky dog! 3 patch ticks and 6 birds for the year list (bringing me up to just75...)! We started off with the usual eider, shags, redshank etc, but soon picked up 28 common scoter and a juv GN diver. He even obliged by flushing a pair of snipe from the undergrowth. Next up a hooded crow was lurking near Little Skate Bay, and just as the sun came out we were treated to a quarter of merganser.


Common Scoter made a welcome patch tick, and I got my best ever views before deciding it was time to go home for lunch

There were plenty of geese overhead, moving toward Portachur, and as we rounded the corner for home I saw that they'd picked up a solitary confused looking pink foot. 



Incoming Greylags
Possibly the same bird spotted by Phil in the AM
Who doesn't love a saw-bill?
I've left the poor dog guarding the house (and trying to work out what to do with the zebra finches), but, I'm already planning on taking him on an owl hunt this evening, could add tawny's to the year total by tomorrow...

After a wrestle with the hairdryer, he's allowed back on the owl chair


No comments:

Post a Comment